Join our Studio Artists!
Join our Trackers Art Studio, learning skills with fellow Apprentices. Together as a team you…
- Work with our Trackers Blacksmith mentoring you in blacksmithing.
- Learn to be self-directed, empowered to craft your journey as an artist.
- Build a portfolio of your work, taking home and using what you make.
- Find a cohort of fellows, creating art and crafts in our Blacksmithing Shop.
Learn Blacksmithing & Metalwork
In monthly studio weekends, you study the art and craft of blacksmithing and metalwork, building the following skills:
Tools & Shop Skills Learn to safely use a wide variety of blacksmith tools in our studio workshop. Develop responsibility and independence, while caring for tools and keeping our shop tidy and organized.
Craftsmanship & Form Forge, split, twist and punch hot metal to create art, crafts, and tools you can take home. Create edged tools such as knives and blades. Delve into physical and material sciences such as metallurgy, thermodynamics and more!
Art & Design Study design in three dimensions. Explore the basics of creating functional and expressive forms. Go beyond the basics to explore more complex forging techniques. Develop your personal style as an artisan.
Our Apprenticeship teachers are experienced artisan educators teaching authentic skills. They inspire positive growth through connection to community, craft, and art.
Need After School? This is our Weekend Apprenticeship. Go here for Blacksmithing After School Program.
Explore the Program Schedule
This program runs Fall to Spring. There is one Weekend Studio Day each month and five optional Seasonal Gatherings the entire family can attend. Explore all schedules below. We offer three different apprenticeship options:
OPTION 1 Grades 5 - 12: Blacksmith Apprenticeship
Learn to safely use a wide variety of blacksmith tools in our studio workshop. Develop responsibility and independence, while caring for tools and keeping our shop tidy and organized.
Choose a schedule below.
OPTION 2 Grades 6 - 12: Bladesmith Apprenticeship (Knifemaking)
Become a Bladesmith and Knife Maker! This program focuses on crafting edged tools: arrowheads, knives, axes, and more!
Choose a schedule below.
OPTION 3 Grades 9 - 12: Metal Maker Apprenticeship
Prerequisite: Blacksmithing After School or Apprenticeship. Exclusively for experienced students. We continue advanced blacksmithing techniques and explore other metalcraft like welding, smelting, and casting!
Choose a schedule below.
Weekend Studio Days 9 total - Typically 1 Saturday or Sunday per month (9 AM - 12:30 PM or 1 PM - 4:30 PM)
During Weekend Studio Days, we gather in the studio to learn new techniques and skills. Studio Days include:
- Mentoring with our Trackers Blacksmith teacher, building art and design skills.
- Hands-on crafting time by hammer, forge, and anvil making projects to take home.
- All program materials and equipment provided by Trackers Art Studio.
- Connection while learning with with new friends and other artists in training.
Seasonal Gatherings 5 total - Weekday evenings or Weekends during the day
Trackers families can attend Seasonal Gatherings filled with food, fun, and connection. These events are optional and include:
- Tracktoberfest Welcome the autumnal harvest with festivities, food, and music.
- Track-or-Treat Trick-or-treat on a fun and mysterious tracking trail through the Trackers Lodge.
- Holiday Party Herald the arrival of winter with food and friends at our Holiday Party.
- Garden Party Help plant our gardens for summer and fall in Sandy, Oregon.
- Graduation Wrap our year together with a community potluck and BBQ.
Get a Trackers Art Studio Membership
For your registered year (Sept - August) you receive a full Trackers Art Studio Membership which includes:
- 9 Art Studio Days, 5 Seasonal Family Gatherings.
- A Trackers T-Shirt, Trackers Woodcarving Guide & monthly Trackers Journal.
- 50% off the Trackers Archery Range for immediate family members (free during Seasonal Gatherings).
Tuition includes all Studio Days and Seasonal Gatherings. Reserve your place with a non-refundable deposit, then pay the remaining tuition in 8 monthly payments. Your first payment is due August 31.
Blacksmith Apprenticeship $95 deposit, 8 monthly payments of $95 (total $855)
Bladesmith Apprenticeship (Knifemaking) $95 deposit, 8 monthly payments of $115 (total $1,015)
Metal Maker Apprenticeship $95 deposit, 8 monthly payments of $130 (total $1,135)
Returning Student Discount Apprentices returning from a previous program year (within Fall to Spring) receive a 15% discount. Use your discount code (emailed) or Contact Us to receive one.
Need Financial Help? We offer Opportunity & Merit Scholarships of 5% - 15% off. Up to a $170 discount off the full tuition. It's quick and easy to apply.
Please note, scholarships and multiple discounts cannot be combined.