In this class, students will:
- Begin to identify the most common mushroom species in our area, along with possible look-alikes
- Build an understanding of which habitats specific gourmet mushroom species prefer: Tree types, elevations, and more
- Learn and practice ethical and sustainable harvesting techniques
- Gain experience using identification keys in guidebooks for future independent learning
- And, of course, all students will receive parting instruction on cooking and preserving any gourmet treasures they might find.
Specialist Instructor: Jess Liotta
Choose You Session
Mushroom Basics are a 1-day weekend class. There is no prerequisite. See below for available session dates.
- 1-day class (9:00 AM - 4:00 PM) This 8-hour course introduces beginner’s to build a foundation for a deeper understanding of mycology. This class primarily focuses on identifying the most commonly seen species in our area, with a focus on choice edible mushrooms.
This class takes place at our private wilderness sanctuary—an exclusive location that allows us to engage in hands-on foraging activities.
Bull Run Education Center 41515 SE Thomas Rd, Sandy, OR 97055